Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Death Becomes Me

I've been helping an acquaintance with the complicated in's and out's of getting Guardianship over a relative. The process started months ago. Relative was in a nursing home, got word of the details, and skedaddled. Such a FUNNY man! Wheeled himself to the nursing home doors at midnight surreptitiously, where his partner in escape was waiting with a car. They beat the system that time. It made me laugh.
He went home to his squalor.

So, like many his age, he was a HORDER. Coming from a time when "You never know what you may need when, and not have the money to buy it".
 LOTS of food. Why then did he only weigh 97 pounds? The food was accessible to his wheelchair. He was "Adored" by his neighbors in his apartment complex. Located near Michigan State University, students would seek him out for help in research, and for companionship. His mind-Brilliant. He did research for Attorneys, Judges and Corporations. Why did none of his neighbors step in? He was bull headed. He had several times come to the attention of Adult Protective Services.

 The first haul of food to a local food bank was about 300 pounds. A couple hundred more was thrown out. While clearing out his apartment one afternoon, two homeless people were digging through the trash I had just pitched, grabbing the underwear and searching for warm clothing. I told them I would begin leaving everything warm I could find behind the dumpster. This is my America?



I showed up on the day he passed away. His eyes lit up...he was delighted to see me. I asked if I could sing for him. I USED to sing...don't much anymore. Anyway, I started singing Christmas Carols to him...he started crying. When I say Crying...I mean the lone tear that sneaked down his cheek. He passed away that night. RIP my new, old friend. 




YES...THIS WAS IN AMERICA. 


Obituary

Dec. 8, 2013
more at: 

No comments: